Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

DON'T TREAD ON AUSTRIA - OFFICIAL METALLICA CHAPTER FORUM » Metallica » Met On Tour » 2007.07.05 - Vienna Rotundenplatz, Austria » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (9): « first ... « previous 7 8 [9] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 2007.07.05 - Vienna Rotundenplatz, Austria
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Marmetal Marmetal is a male
Official MetClub Member

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Registration Date: 23.08.2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Pretty good großes Grinsen . We have to meet in the nearest future again smile .

23.07.2007 13:02 Marmetal is offline Send an Email to Marmetal Homepage of Marmetal Search for Posts by Marmetal Add Marmetal to your Buddy List
Official MetClub Member

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Finally, my review from Vienna show in English! Enjoy!

July 5th 2007 - Rotundenplatz, Vienna, Austria

It was my fourth Metallica concert and I regard it as the best one so far. I'm talking about the show the Californian quartet gave in Rotundenplatz in Vienna. But let's start at the beginning.

Not so long ago I thought I wouldn't be able to see my favorite band this year. Well, things are not always the way we want them to be. Suddenly, a chance appeared, but there was a problem with transport. Asking them for a very long time, I managed to convince my parents to go to Vienna by car - exactly the way I dreamed. At first I was going to buy the ticket for further sectors 'cause the so called "wavebreakers" had already been sold out. Yet, thanks to my Austrian friend, I managed to buy a ticket for the mosh pit zone, for a reasonable price and a couple of days before the show. A big thanks to him!

I was very excited before the show. I knew all the setlists from earlier Metallica shows during "Sick Of The Studio Tour '07". It's enough to mention such unique songs as "…And Justice For All" – not played for 18 years, or "Ride The Lightning", "The Memory Remains" and finally "The Four Horsemen". I've already heard the LiveMetallica.com recording of the Lisbon show where the guys really gave their best. They were in great shape, setlists were awesome, there was nothing more I could ask for!

Adrenaline started to flow, the show was getting closer and closer. I was supposed to purchase my ticket at Rotundenplatz in Vienna. Unfortunately, I didn't win the M&G pass (second time in a row) but the knowledge that I would be able to see my idols made me feel excited. I started the trip with my parents on Wednesday at 10 p.m. – the night before the show. It was a long and tiring trip but there's nothing I wouldn't do for the band I love. Among others, we passed Bratislava - the city turned out to be more beautiful than I thought. We didn't wait long at the border. It all went nice and smooth. It was my first time I've been to Austria, and Vienna impressed me mostly because of its largeness and look. Such an amazing place.

We reached Vienna about 11 a.m., of course doing some short stops during our trip. With every minute I was getting more and more excited that there was so little time left for Metallica to hit the stage. An experienced driver and a map did what they were supposed to. We came to the site quickly and without any trouble. Organisation of the event was a big help here. Arrows with the sign "Metallica" showed us the way to the show. Our car with a stick "powered by Metallica" on it parked near the place the whole fuss was supposed to happen.

At first I thought that Rotundenplatz was a bit strange and a little cosmic, mostly because of its colors and a lot of rocks. But then I started to like the place, the stage was big and made a huge impression. Then I saw trucks with the equipment of Metallica. One of them had a sign "Rock 'N Roll Trucking", which gave more excitement and awareness of the reason why we all were there.

Fans started to gather at the main gate and with every minute there were more and more of 'em. I was able to hear familiar music from the cars parked nearby. It was not far from the city center so me and my parents went to a huge lunapark in Prater district. I even planned to take a ride with a rollercoaster but the weather and strong wind made me change my plans. The weather was really crazy that day. For one moment it would be sunny, then rain would come down.

I was supposed to phone my Austrian friend but couldn`t get through, and I started to worry about my ticket. Luckily, we predicted such a situation and as Plan B we were supposed to meet at Schweizerhaus at 3 p.m. I went there and it all ended as in an American movie, that is... happily. I took my chance and met guys from the Austrian MetClub chapter "Don't Tread On Austria". Because of the fact that my friend Metallifreak is a chapterhead and I'm one of members I was very pleased to meet all the people I already knew from the Austrian boards. Other members of the chapter, except for the ones from Austria, are Germans, Italians, guys from Switzerland and some people from Turkey. The last ones weren't there, unfortunately. I had a great time in Schweizerhaus discussing everything Metallica.

The Austrian hosts seemed to be a little disappointed, though, as none of 'em won the M&G pass. And fans from the country the show takes place are supposed to have priority as far as M&G is concerned. One of the Italians next to me had won a M&G pass and was very excited, but also a bit nervous. You can see him on the MetOnTour video.

The chapterhead gave him a setlist signed by all chapter members, and the Italian was supposed to show it to Lars during the meeting. I remember there was "Fight Fire With Fire" on the list. As we were encouraged by the fact that it was the only show with Heaven And Hell on this tour, we put "Sabbra Cadabra" with Iommi on guitar before "Seek And Destroy". And after all we still remembered last year's show in Nickelsdorf, where the boys played "Damage Case" with Lemmy. With Metallica, you can't be sure of anything.

Suddenly, crew from the public ORF television, doing short interviews with fans, came to our table. Of course they chose me for an interview. I answered a couple of questions about my interest in the band, the aim of my trip, etc. It was the third time I gave a TV interview. Earlier it was back in 1999 when Metallica visited Warsaw and later on in Berlin (for RTL TV). It seems like Metallica brings me luck and each time I attend their show (except for Chorzow) I'm interviewed. You can see me on YouTube.

Some time later, together with a group of fans of various nationalities, we went to the show. At this juncture, I would like to say hi to Jorg (Metallifreak), Etzi, Christoph, Diego, Massimiliano, Nadia and the rest of friends (whose names unfortunately I don't remember). Cheers guys! We all got a yellow wrist band - a pass to the pit. We were waiting for the rest of the group for a while and in the meantime the German band Oomph! came on stage. They didn't get a very enthusiastic greeting from the crowd, though.

With every minute there were more and more people, you could just smell the atmosphere. My parents went sightseeing Vienna at that time. After taking a photo with all the chapter members, I went inside. There we split and I started to look around. There were a lot of people in the pit already. Going here and there I noticed a girl with a Polish flag on her back. She turned out to be a friend from the Polish chapter, "Overkill.pl". A smile appeared on my face. Finally I met someone else from Poland and, what's more important, she was from "Overkill", too. After security checked me, I went into the pit down below, where I met some Polish friends (who I would like to salute here).

We waited for a while. On stage, technicians hung a banner with angels smoking cigarettes and playing cards, and then Heaven And Hell hit the stage. I wasn't very familiar with their music but of course I knew who they were. The band played high above my expectations. Dio sang perfectly, he had a great contact with the audience and he smiled a lot at the view of thousands in front of him. Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice made a great impression on me as well. The unique quality of the Vienna show was the fact that it was the only time Sabbath supported Metallica on this tour. The band played, among others, "Children Of The Sea", "Die Young" and "Heaven And Hell" – the audience sang that last one along with Dio. And it was easy to notice that people really enjoyed the show! I mean – the guys from Sabbath are a living legend! The sound wasn't perfect but that's what it's usually like when a support band is playing.

The tension was rising with every minute, we were getting closer and closer to the moment when Metallica would hit the stage. The whole changing the stage look for The Four Horsemen started, together with all the guitar, drums, bass, etc. soundcheck. There was Zach, a Metallica technician since the "Damaged Justice Tour" I guess. There were some other familiar faces out there like Flemming Larsen, to name just one. The H&H banner was taken off and behind Lars’ drums a large banner "Sick Of The Studio" (the same as on other shows this year) appeared. You could hear different songs from the speakers but we all waited for AC/DC.

To be continued...

27.07.2007 18:40 Marmetal is offline Send an Email to Marmetal Homepage of Marmetal Search for Posts by Marmetal Add Marmetal to your Buddy List
Official MetClub Member

And here's the second part...

And finally we heard the sound. With a massive roar, the crowd sung "It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll"). Right after that, "The Ecstasy Of Gold" started, also sung by the crowd, and I could feel tears on my face. This song makes you feel so excited, knowing that in less than two minutes the band you love will hit the stage. The song by Ennio Morricone ended.

Lars showed up on stage, he threw his drink as he usually does (some drops rained on me) and the band started with "Creeping Death"! It was something I expected 'cause each show this tour they had opened with this classic from "Ride The Lightning". I almost cried during that song. To see your idols after a year is priceless. The crowd was slowly turning on, we all chanted the "die, die, die!" part. In the end of "Creep", James introduced Lars and Rob. The first one started to hit the drums, the crowd started to sing following the drum hit and "For Whom The Bell Tolls" began. I haven't heard that song live for eight years! What a great performance that was, with the crowd singing the chorus. After that there was a short solo by Kirk and the boys passed straight into "Ride The Lightning". It was the first time I heard a live version of the title track from the album released back in 1984. "Ride" just smashed the crowd. Three songs from that album so far!

It was a time for James to do some talking after that, his "hoooraaah" and "Disposable Heroes" – an absolute killer. About 9 minutes of heavy playing, moshing and going crazy. After that Het announced: "On lead guitar Mr Kirk Hammett". Kirk played a short doodle and the next song let us all catch some air after the fast "Creep", "Bellz", "Ride" and "Heroes". At least I'm talking here about the first part of the song which was "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)". James thanked us for good singing.

So far there was no new song and I was hoping the guys prepared something special for this unique evening. Still, the rest of the setlist was a compensation for lack of new material. Let me say just four words: "…And Justice For All"! That song just smashes you like no other, all the people were singing and Metallica enjoyed playing it. It was worth for them to go back to playing "AJFA" after almost twenty years! "Justice" ended and it was time for a short break. Then James greeted us once more, said it was an honor to share the stage with Heaven And Hell and told us he had a soar throat. That's why he asked us to help him singing the next song. "Fortune, fame, mirror vain, gone insane, but the... memory remains!". I was waiting for it and so was everyone on Rotundenplatz. We were all singing along with James. With time there were less and less instruments playing and in the end the only thing you could hear were the fans singing. What an incredible thing. The band were pleased. James praised us for knowing the lyrics and melody.

Metallica didn't slow down, though. Het asked us a rhetorical question: "Kill 'Em All"? That time "The Four Horsemen" started to roll on. A great song to perform live. James asked us if we had been taking singing lessons and asked us to greet Rob. The band's bass player did an excellent solo, welcomed enthusiastically by the audience. That could mean only one thing: "Orion". People sung enthusiastically although it's an instrumental. All were in good mood and Papa Het, after the song, said "God Bless Mr Cliff Burton".

The next song was a beautiful and perfectly played "Fade To Black". Right after that a smooth passage to the anthem of metal music: "Master Of Puppets". I wasn't so sure about the next song. The frontman of the band asked: "Do you want some Whiplash, Vienna?" He started counting and the ultra fast song from "Kill 'Em All", blowing everything away, began. It's a live show killer like no other.

After that it was time for a short and well deserved break. James made a fake farewell. Most of us expected "Sad But True", yet, unexpectedly, we heard intro tape to "Wherever I May Roam" coming from the speakers. Whatever you think, "Roam" is a great song and perfect for live performances.

Kirk was left alone on stage after that one. He played a doodle and "Nothing Else Matters" started. This beautiful ballad should be performed on every show. The experience of hearing it live is a unique feeling. Then the lights went off, pyros started. I was so close to the stage and the bangs were so massive that I had to protect my ears. And also flames hit right in our faces and it was really hot. James was standing on top of the stage, with his back to us, all the lights were pointed at him, and "One" commenced. It's a beautiful song and makes an even greater impression when played live. Mostly thanks to all the special effects.

After that classic from the "…And Justice For All" album it was obvious that Metallica would play one of their greatest hits: "Enter Sandman". I just love that song. While the band was playing it, the fireworks shot high into the sky. James did all the talking with the audience once again, said goodbye and we had another break. And then no one knew what was going to happen, what the boys would play. I was wondering if "Sabbra Cadabra" would make it. It turned out the guys didn't practice the song enough to play it, still, we got no less of a surprise. But before that Het asked if we were tired and our reaction was easy to predict.

"Stone Cold Crazy" started! Another song I heard live for the first time. A great, short, rocking one, just perfect right before the end of show. After the Queen cover James said goodbye in six languages (English, German, Japanese, Spanish, Italian and French I guess). But it was not the end. He dedicated the next song to fans (Metallica family) and said: "This is from Kill 'Em All. Seek And Destroy!” And a standard song for finishing Metallica shows started. As for me, "Seek And Destroy" is great for that. It’s become a tradition for Rob to perform his dance, spinning around with bass, with his hair let out. So it was this time and it looked great. The boys didn't forget about the short jam based on "Let There Be Rock" by AC/DC. And that was the end of the great show in Austria.

James, Lars, Kirk and Rob said their goodbyes to us. And thanked us for an amazing show. James asked if we had fun. He said that Metallica loves and appreciates us. Kirk shouted "danke schon, motherfuckers". Rob also said goodbye in German and screamed "hoo" two times. Lars promised to come back soon with a new album and a new tour and reminded us that Metallica always visits Austria during their touring. They stayed on stage for a while throwing away guitar picks and drumsticks. And in the end they stood together in the middle of the stage, waving to us.

To be continued...

27.07.2007 18:40 Marmetal is offline Send an Email to Marmetal Homepage of Marmetal Search for Posts by Marmetal Add Marmetal to your Buddy List
Official MetClub Member

And the last one...

Now it's time for some of my thoughts and feelings. I've heard four songs I had never heard live before. And that would be: "Ride The Lightning", "…And Justice For All", "Whiplash" and "Stone Cold Crazy". It’s quite a lot as for my fourth show. In the beginning I stood in the fifth or sixth row but managed to move forward during the show. And most of it I spent in the second row where I had a great view and could see everything. I couldn't imagine a better place. Being so close to the stage, I sung all the notes, lines, and even solos, together with an Italian guy I had met by accident. I was very thirsty all the way through - it was very hot in the crowd but luckily someone from the security (?) gave us some water so we could handle this. You couldn't feel the wind, predicted to be very strong and to ruin the sound in the further parts of the area.

I wasn't so smashed as in Berlin, I had more energy left although I was very tired. When thousands of fans push you on the barriers, your back hurts. Not even mentioning my throat - I screamed for almost three hours and in the end almost couldn't talk at all. I had a soar throat for a couple of days after that. But what wouldn't I do for Metallica. It's all the matter of devotion.

As I said before, for almost the whole show I stood in the second row. I was very close, I saw the guys from a very short distance, which I treat as another dream come true and a success. The Four Horsemen threw away a lot of guitar picks but sometimes the wind played tricks and brought them to the other side. Luckily, after "Sandman" I guess, I was able to catch Kirk’s pick! I'm incredibly happy because of that, since this pick is now like something holy to me.

On the way to the show I didn't expect I was going to be so close and catch anything from the guys. All my dreams came true. I even held Lars' drumstick for a while, when Lars came down to us, but with ten hands holding it I wasn't able to keep it. Still, I can't complain... Opposite!

Having some euros I went to the Metallica T-shirt boutique and bought an official "Sick Of The Studio Tour '07" shirt. The one with the photo from the poster. Another not so cheap gadget to my collection. These T-shirts sold out really quick as there were not many of them left. After that I went back to my car, where my parents were waiting for me and had seen the entire show from behind the fence. It's good there were those big screens. I looked at them myself from time to time during the gig. There were 800 kilometers left, a long way back home with some sleep on the road. We returned on Friday evening.

That was the best day of my life. The day my dreams came true. I got more than I expected, I saw more than I thought I would ever see. And I haven't even dreamed about such a setlist. I felt like I was taking part in a Metallica show 15 years ago. Only "The Memory Remains" was from the post "The Black Album" era. Metallica started incredibly fast, making their fans so excited, and they didn't slow down. The music was getting faster and more aggressive with every minute.

There are a lot of people out there criticizing the band for this or that but if they would ever attend a Metallica show they surely would change their mind. No other band gives you more than Metallica. They did a great job in Vienna. They were in great shape, playing their songs with almost no mistakes. James' singing was fantastic. His growl made my flesh creep. He had a great contact with the audience. Lars was hitting his drums so hard that I could feel every beat in my stomach. He was jumping there, fooling around - watching him is a great pleasure. Kirk's solos were just perfect. Rob gave us a great show and it's easy to notice that playing with Metallica is such a pleasure for him.

Those four made me cry tears of joy. You just can't get more. The Californians proved that they are the best band in the world, and not only the best live act. And in fact nothing else matters. I've already promised myself to see them again next year. In fact, who loves them more than I do?

In the end I would like to thank all the fans and friends I met, and my parents too, since without them the whole thing would never have happened. That was the best gift for my 18th birthday I could ever imagine. There is no better and more priceless thing to me than a Metallica show. There is nothing which would give me as much joy as seeing them live.
To cut a long story short, the 5th of July I regard as the most wonderful day of my life. And the show in Vienna - as the best one so far.

Marcin "Marmetal" Kurosz

---

Thanks to TommiK and Evillady for translation!

27.07.2007 18:41 Marmetal is offline Send an Email to Marmetal Homepage of Marmetal Search for Posts by Marmetal Add Marmetal to your Buddy List
GreatOne

Registration Date: 15.03.2008

Wahrscheinlich schon 1000 mal gehört, aber ein Versuch ist es Wert!

Hat irgendwer das Sick of the Studio T-Shirt von Vienna zu vergeben?
Wenn ja, Angebote per PM an mich großes Grinsen
15.03.2008 19:27 GreatOne is offline Send an Email to GreatOne Search for Posts by GreatOne Add GreatOne to your Buddy List
Metallifreak Metallifreak is a male
RESPECTED MEMBER

images/avatars/avatar-198.jpg

Registration Date: 27.05.2005
Herkunft: Köflach

Thread Starter Thread Started by Metallifreak

quote:
Original von GreatOne
Wahrscheinlich schon 1000 mal gehört, aber ein Versuch ist es Wert!

Hat irgendwer das Sick of the Studio T-Shirt von Vienna zu vergeben?
Wenn ja, Angebote per PM an mich großes Grinsen

Wirst schwer finden. Und wenn musst mit gut 70 Euro aufwärts dafür rechnen
16.03.2008 09:19 Metallifreak is online Send an Email to Metallifreak Homepage of Metallifreak Search for Posts by Metallifreak Add Metallifreak to your Buddy List Add Metallifreak to your Contact List
Het2006 Het2006 is a male
RESPECTED MEMBER

Registration Date: 02.12.2006
Herkunft: Tirol

wie sieht das aus?
16.03.2008 10:45 Het2006 is offline Send an Email to Het2006 Search for Posts by Het2006 Add Het2006 to your Buddy List
RESPECTED MEMBER

quote:
Original von Het2006
wie sieht das aus?

Ist ein rotes Shirt, vorne das Wien-Wappen drauf und das Metallica Logo. Gabs bei jedem Gig für jede Stadt, wo sie gespielt hatten. War aber überall sehr schnell ausverkauft. Originalpreis war zwischen 25-35 Euro, je nach Location.
16.03.2008 11:45 Metallifreak is online Send an Email to Metallifreak Homepage of Metallifreak Search for Posts by Metallifreak Add Metallifreak to your Buddy List Add Metallifreak to your Contact List
Het2006 Het2006 is a male
RESPECTED MEMBER

Registration Date: 02.12.2006
Herkunft: Tirol

aha, da war ich dann wahrscheinlich schon zu spät den shirt verkäufern, das hab ich gar nich gesehn unglücklich
16.03.2008 12:42 Het2006 is offline Send an Email to Het2006 Search for Posts by Het2006 Add Het2006 to your Buddy List
GreatOne

Naja, falls wer ins verkauft bzw. weiß wo man es bekommt, wäre ich sehr dankbar.

Über den Preis kann man ja verhandeln Augenzwinkern
16.03.2008 15:38 GreatOne is offline Send an Email to GreatOne Search for Posts by GreatOne Add GreatOne to your Buddy List
RESPECTED MEMBER

quote:
Original von GreatOne
Naja, falls wer ins verkauft bzw. weiß wo man es bekommt, wäre ich sehr dankbar.

Über den Preis kann man ja verhandeln Augenzwinkern

Günstiger wirst es wohl leider nicht bekommen. Die Shirts waren schon während des Oohmph Gigs restlos ausverkauft.
16.03.2008 15:49 Metallifreak is online Send an Email to Metallifreak Homepage of Metallifreak Search for Posts by Metallifreak Add Metallifreak to your Buddy List Add Metallifreak to your Contact List
GreatOne

Also bis 50€ würd ich es kaufen smile
16.03.2008 18:07 GreatOne is offline Send an Email to GreatOne Search for Posts by GreatOne Add GreatOne to your Buddy List
RESPECTED MEMBER

quote:
Original von GreatOne
Also bis 50€ würd ich es kaufen smile

Da musst schon echt Glück haben. Hab erst zwei auf Ebay gesehen, und die gingen für knapp 100 weg.
16.03.2008 18:13 Metallifreak is online Send an Email to Metallifreak Homepage of Metallifreak Search for Posts by Metallifreak Add Metallifreak to your Buddy List Add Metallifreak to your Contact List
Pages (9): « first ... « previous 7 8 [9] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
DON'T TREAD ON AUSTRIA - OFFICIAL METALLICA CHAPTER FORUM » Metallica » Met On Tour » 2007.07.05 - Vienna Rotundenplatz, Austria

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH